Tuesday, 11 November 2014

November 2014 Birchbox Unboxing & Review



It's clichéd but I honestly can't believe we're already into November - I feel like time's been flying by recently (not that I'm complaining, I'm already drooling over Christmas items on Etsy!) - so it was a bit of a shock to come home to this month's Birchbox.

It really is a cracker (ha, Christmas) though, so I'm genuinely excited to share my first impressions with you!



This month's theme is Cosy at Home & we're back to the classic drawstring bag, which is actually handy as I'll be doing a bit of travelling over Christmas & these bags are great for storing makeup & toiletries. I'm not convinced I see the theme in the product choices, but it's not a problem as this is possibly one of my favourite ever beauty boxes!


First up is the Signature for Her scent from English Laundry, which retails for £60. That's pretty gutsy for a non-designer fragrance & I wasn't particularly impressed by the packaging; the bubblegum pink looks cheap & the cap keeps falling off, plus that script text looks like it was done in Word. The scent is nice, with musky floral notes, & I'm sure I'll use up this sample, but it's nothing special & I won't be repurchasing.



Next is the Protect & Treat Hair Mask from Beauty Protector which retails for £16. I haven't had a chance to use this yet so I can't really comment on the results, but the fact that it contains argan oil means I can't wait to give it a go. The mask has a whipped texture, meaning it should be easy to run through the ends of your hair, & despite the light pink colour it's almost scentless, which I really like. I also think £16 is a pretty decent price for a once-a-week hair product - perfect for use a part of a pamper session.


The third product is the Natural Lanolin Lip Balm from LipGlam which retails for £9.99. I'm lucky that I don't tend to get chapped lips, although I have recently started applying Carmex at night to keep my lips soft & smooth. I really love the packaging on this lip balm - it looks far more expensive than it is - but I'm not convinced by the product. It's really solid & smells a bit like bow rosin (strings player unite!). I'll probably throw it in my handbag but unless it turns out to be a wonder product I won't be repurchasing.


The second to last beauty product is this bronzer in shade Sunny from Lord & Berry, which retails for £19. This is just a sample size (2g vs. 12g) but I'm already super tempted to go ahead & purchase the full size version. It's a beautiful matte bronzer with a firm texture that makes it easy to get a subtle, sculpted look. I also love the slightly retro style of the outer packaging, & it looks like the packaging on the full size product is good quality too. This is definitely the star of the box.


The final beauty product is this full size (!) Dr. Jart's Most Moist Water-Act Skin Mist which retails for £18. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Jart's products so I was excited to give this toning spray a try. The idea is that you spritz it on after cleansing to balance your skin & restore moisture. I'm not sure about that, but I do love the cooling sensation this mist gives & its light scent is really refreshing. I can easily see this becoming a must-have part of my skincare routine.


Now you know I'm usually pretty ambivalent towards the lifestyle items but you can't really go wrong with this month's product: a mini bar of Montezuma's milk chocolate. At £2.39 for 100g it's pretty pricey but delicious, so worth a look if you're really into chocolate.

I'm not sure what it is about this box but I'm a huge fan! I think it just feels higher quality than some previous boxes, & even the full size prices seem good value for money. As we come up to Christmas I can definitely see me splashing some of my Birchbox points on a couple of the items from this box & I'd definitely recommend checking out the Birchbox shop if you're looking for gifts as there's a great range of products.

Let me know in the comments what you think of this month's box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved