Saturday, 1 November 2014

Review: Garnier Moisture Match Mattifying Fresh Cream




I picked this up a couple of weeks ago as I've been struggling with keeping my oily skin under control, particularly on my longer work days, and while I have enjoyed using it I'm not 100% convinced it lives up to its claims.

The price is pretty average for a targeted moisturiser on the high street, and I personally think it's fairly good value for money: you get 50ml of product, & since you only need a pea-sized amount once a day (this works best as a morning moisturiser) it should last a decent amount of time.

The packaging isn't anything special but I like the clean design, & it's easy to get the correct amount of product out of the tube.


The scent should be familiar to people who have used Garnier's products before; it's fresh & light - almost like cucumber - which is great for use in the morning.

The moisturiser is light green in colour - presumably to cancel out redness - but from the photo below I don't really feel like there's a significant difference in my skin tone, although it does seem to have somewhat evened out the colour on my cheeks.

The consistency is definitely my favourite aspect of the product: it's almost like a whipped gel, meaning it doesn't feel greasy or sticky, & is super lightweight. It also has somewhat of a silicone-based texture & reminds me a little of Benefit's Porefessional primer, so if you're a fan of that it's worth checking out (especially since is much more accessibly priced). I love the fact that it leaves my skin feeling smooth & matte, perfect for applying makeup on to with no need to wait for it to sink in.

The packaging boasts of "24 hour hydration" but honestly it just doesn't feel that moisturising to me - it's certainly great for mornings but I think even with oily skin you'll need to be using a thicker, richer moisturiser at night to keep your skin fully hydrated.

L: Before applying moisturiser // R: After applying moisturiser

In terms of the mattifying effects, I'll let you be the judge of that. The photos above show my face before (L) & after (R) applying the moisturiser. The before photo was taken around 30 minutes after I got out of the shower - I hadn't done anything particularly strenuous, just blow-dried my hair & got dressed, so this is essentially my base oil level. 

After applying the moisturiser, I definitely feel like there's a slight reduction in the amount of shine, particularly around my t-zone, but my skin still looks natural & luminous. However, over the course of a day, I don't really see a difference between when I do & don't use the product. By 5pm, even with the moisturiser & the No. 7 Beautifully Matte foundation (which I reviewed here), I'm generally super shiny & in desperate need of powder.

So, my final thoughts? This is a solid morning moisturiser: the formula is great for oily skin as it isn't too heavy & it sets into a smooth, matte finish which is perfect for applying makeup on top of. However, you can't expect miracles. If you're normally oily by the end of the day, you'll likely still be oily even if you use this product (although, people with oily-combo skin may have more success). 

It's worth giving a it a try but I don't think it's a must-have product, at least not for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Gariner Mattifying Fresh Cream if you've tried it, & if not let me know if you have any recommendations for moisturisers you think I should try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved