Wednesday, 3 December 2014

YOU Beauty Advent: Days One to Three



In my first impressions post on the YOU Beauty Advent calendar I said I would post a mini review of the contents every three days, so here's days one to three. 

December 1st: Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish

Honestly, I was pretty surprised to find this cult classic behind door number one - it was one of the things which finally convinced me to purchase the calendar, so it seemed a bit anti-climactic to receive it straight away. That being said, I'm not complaining because I've been dying to test this out forever! Although this is just a sample size, it does come with a full size of the muslin cloth which forms a part of the Liz Earle cleansing routine - meaning that if you chose to purchase the full size product you could just buy the cleanser rather than the 'starter kit'. 

I've been using the cleanser for three days now & although I'm not blown away, I do really enjoy the mini facial experience each night. I've been using a face wipe first to remove my makeup, & then massaging the gel cleanser into my skin for a good couple of minutes. Next I hold the muslin cloth under warm running water until it's fully saturated, squeeze it out, & then buff away the cleanser. This is the interesting bit because it doesn't really feel like you're removing the cleanser - hence why I've been careful to remove my makeup first - instead it just seems to melt into your skin, leaving behind any dirt & makeup residue on the surface to be picked up by the cloth. 

It certainly leaves my skin feeling soft & super clean (without being dehydrated), & I can definitely see myself being convinced by the full size version once I'm finished with this sample.

December 2nd: Laura Mercier Foundation Primer

Again, I was a bit blown away to receive such a well-respected brand in what was a fairly average-priced advent calendar. The packaging is really beautiful too & for someone who's used to beauty boxes where brands often shove samples in random sachets & tubs, it's nice to see well thought-out packaging.

Having worn this primer two days now, I'm not in love, but I think that might just be because this isn't really designed for my skin type. As someone with oily skin, I'm used to silicone-based primers for that smooth, matte finish whereas this is more like a moisturiser - a great, hydrating moisturiser - but a moisturiser none the less.

That being said, I can see this be perfect for dryer skin types, particularly older skin, as it's really lightweight & sinks into the skin perfectly.

December 3rd: Molton Brown Orange & Bergamot Body Wash

Although a body wash isn't exactly mind-blowing, it was a nice change of pace after two beauty products & obviously Molton Brown are a really well-known high-end brand.

Again, I love the fact that some thought has been put into the packaging with the detail on the bottle cap & I think this would be perfect as a mini gift for an overnight visitor. I also really like the orange & bergamot scent as it's festive without being gimmicky or overly sweet.

All things considered, I'm so happy with the first three days of the calendar - high quality products, presented beautifully, & I'm already making use of them all.

I'd love to hear how you're enjoying your advent calendars, or even just how you're preparing for the festive season - let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved