Monday, 22 December 2014

YOU Beauty Advent: Days Thirteen to Twenty One



As I mentioned in my last advent post, I recently headed down South for a week to see my family before Christmas & since there was no way I was lugging my YOU Beauty advent calendar with me on the train, it meant I had a bumper haul waiting for me when I got back.

Now, I'm going to be honest & say I have no idea which days I received these products, but I'm going to go ahead & do my usual mini reviews anyway.
Radial Stemcell Super-Food Glam Balm

I'm not usually one to be sketched out by science but the idea of stem cells in lip balm is pretty weird. On the bright side this seems like a fairly average lip balm; it's got a soft texture - great for easy application - & the rose scent is a nice break from the usual mint & vanilla varieties.

Sally Hansen Nail Rehab

I wouldn't say my nails are "severely damaged" but I have been finding lately that my tips are super flexible meaning that polish chips really quickly, so I'm hopeful that this might help combat that. I was also pleasantly surprised to see this could be worn under other polish, like a base coat or primer, meaning there's no need for your nails to be bare while you're treating them.

John Frieda Luxurious Volume Blow Dry Lotion

I've mentioned my thick hair battles before & maybe this product will help give my roots a bit of a boost. You're supposed to spritz it on towel dried hair, before blow drying, which seems reasonable - although the scent & the high alcohol content would suggest that this is basically just liquid hair spray so I'm not sure it's something I'll be using regularly.

Eyeko London Alexa Chung Lash Curler

I actually already own a set of eyelash curlers but they rarely get any use - in the morning I'm in such a rush that I keep my beauty routine to a minimum. That being said, these look really great quality & like anyone who grew up in the late '90s & early '00s I have a not so secret crush on Alexa Chung, so the endorsement (however meaningless) is an added bonus.

Roger & Gallet Fleur de Figuier Fragrant Water

My main exposure to Roger & Gallet up to this point was the soaps that my Gran would put out for guests, so I didn't have high hopes for this perfume, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is a really fresh & crisp scent, perfect for Spring, with notes of grapefruit & fig. I'm not sure how long-lasting the fragrance will be, but since it's much cheaper than most perfumes I might pick up a full-size bottle for special occasions.

Bioeffect EGF Serum

I've never really tried any serums before & the packaging on this tiny sample isn't exactly informative - the text simply reads "For improved appearance of skin". Then again, who doesn't want that? This serum is scentless & the super light gel formula blends into the skin almost instantly. If I see some real effects from this it could definitely be a keeper.

John Masters Organics Shampoo & Detangler

I'm super ambivalent to these two products; the shampoo smells almost medicinal (I'm not a big fan of lavender or rosemary) while the detangler is basically scent-free. I'll probably end up taking these with me on a trip when I don't have room for full size shower products but I can't imagine I'll particularly enjoy using them. 

Benefit's The Porefessional Primer

This is one of my favourite ever primers & I finished my previous sample a couple of months ago, so I'm definitely thanking the Benefit gods for sending me this in my calendar. For those who haven't experienced it, The Porefessional is a silicone-based primer that creates a smooth, matte finish which is perfect for applying foundation on top of - definitely recommended for those with oily skin or larger pores.

James Read Sleep Mask Tan

I wrote last time about my fear of tanning, & honestly the thought of applying something on my face which would then develop into a tan while I slept just sounds like a nightmare. That being said, maybe come Summer when I'm feeling a bit braver - & the results might be a bit less obvious - I'll give this & the previous tanning product a shot. 

Since there's only three days left, the next advent calendar post will be the last, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole thing - has it convinced to shell out for a beauty advent calendar next year or are you still unconvinced? & as always, if there are any products you'd like a full review of, just let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved