Monday, 2 March 2015

Review: Sephora Contour Eye Pencil



For the past few months I've been on the look out for an everyday nude liner for my waterline, but every review I looked at made the liner in question sound mediocre at best, so I just stopped looking. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was placing an order on Sephora & figured I'd give their own brand Contour Eye Pencil in Blonde Ambition a shot.


Sephora's Contour Eye Pencils retail for $10, which is technically around £6.50, except that - when buying from Sephora online from the UK - you have to factor in not only delivery but also customs charges. Thankfully, Sephora calculate these for you & include them in to the cost of shipping, which means no nasty surprises, but it does add up to a lot of money, so I'd only suggest picking up these pencils if you're already planning on placing a large order.


The pencil itself is fairly standard. The "shaft" is made of black plastic meaning it's - in theory at least - super easy to sharpen & the colour indicator on the end makes it easy to pick out the correct colour if you have more than one shade.


As you can see, the colour is super pigmented & the creamy formula means it applies smoothly both on the lid & on the waterline. If anything I would say the formula is a little too creamy as I've actually had a couple of issues with this crumbling during application. 

I was also a little disappointed with the shade as on the website it's simply described as "beige" which I interpreted to mean it was a matte, nude shade. In person, it's far closer to "champagne" & super metallic, meaning it's not really ideal for adding some natural definition to my waterline. On the bright side, it is a lovely inner corner highlight & it blends out beautifully meaning you can also use it as an eyeshadow base.

In terms of wear, 12 hours is probably overstating it a bit, & particularly on the waterline it's closer to 3 but I'd definitely agree it's waterproof - I've had no problems with it smudging or wearing off once applied to the lid.

I certainly wasn't blown away by this pencil, but for the price it feels like a solid pick & the wide range of colours means it's a safe choice if what you're looking for is a creamy, pigmented pencil liner that can make it through the day. I'll definitely consider picking up a couple more colours when I do my next Sephora shop, although it would be good to see more description on the website so I know what I'm getting.

Have you tried any of Sephora's own brand products, & if so, what did you think? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved