Saturday, 11 April 2015

Face Off: Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector vs. the Balm's Mary Loumanizer



I know that a lot of people like to save contouring & highlighting for special occasions - for me they're a part of my every day look - but whichever camp you fall into, I wanted to take some time today to introduce you to two of my all-time favourite highlighters.


First up is theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer (RRP £15). I'm not that into theBalm's retro aesthetic, but I do like how solid this compact feels & how travel-friendly the size is. You can purchased theBalm products on any number of UK sites including Birchbox (linked above) & FeelUnique, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on Mary-Lou Manizer if you like what you see.


Mary-Lou Manizer is a honey-toned highlighter which is designed to add a subtle pop of shine wherever it's placed - I generally add a little to my cheekbones & brow bones, the bridge of my nose, & my cupids bow. It's not necessarily that noticeable, but it does bring some life back to your face if you're a fan of super matte foundations (like me!).


The second product is Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfector (Pressed) in Moonstone (RRP £35). Because this is a higher-end product, you won't find it on a lot of mainstream beauty websites, but you can purchase it from SpaceNK (linked above) who are currently offering £10 off a £40 spend with the code "discover15".

The packaging is definitely something special, with an embossed brushed steel centre surrounded by rubberised plastic - it almost feels utilitarian, & it's definitely sturdy. 


Moonstone has more of a cool, pearl-tone & the finish is a more noticeable, metallic shine. Some people might find this too dramatic, but I love the high gloss look, particularly on my cheeks.

L: Mary-Lou Manizer  //  R: Moonstone

As you can see from the side-by-side swatches, Moonstone is not only significant lighter (making it better suited for really light skin-tones, where Mary-Lou Manizer can end up looking a little muddy), it also has a more opaque shine, with less glitter meaning no worrying about it emphasising larger pores.

Overall, I think these are both great products, & most days I do treat them as interchangeable. That being said, I know that when I want to look my very best, I'll always reach for Becca's Moonstone for that unbeatable, high-shine glow. I know it's pricey (hell, Mary-Lou Manizer isn't exactly cheap) but if you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Let me know what your favourite highlighters are in the comments below, I'd particularly love to hear if you have any high-street hidden gems.

1 comment:

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved