Sunday, 7 June 2015

Holiday NYX Haul



It was the second-to-last day of our holiday when I spotted a beauty store with a NYX sign outside, & there was no way I was leaving Malta without checking it out. You can buy NYX online in the UK but I've found that a lot of the popular products are often out of stock, & buying online means no chance to test out products.

The main products I wanted to test out were the soft matte lip creams as I've heard great things, & since they're only £7, I figured that - if I liked them - I could easily order more shades online. I swatched a couple of shades on my hand & was pretty impressed, but there weren't testers for all the shades so I ended up just choosing by eye, which obviously isn't ideal.

In the end I went for (L-R) Milan (cool, mid-tone pink), Addis Ababa (bright fuschia), Morocco (classic coral), & Amsterdam (pure red). 

1. Milan // 2. Addis Ababa // 3. Morocco // 4. Amsterdam

I didn't get a chance to swatch them until I got home, but when I did I was a little disappointed. When swatched side-by-side the colours definitely weren't as distinct as they are in the tube (probably most noticeable are the similarities between Milan & Addis Ababa) & the same holds true on the lips. I think a lot of that is because the pigmentation isn't super strong meaning the colour get muddied by my natural lip colour.

I've also noticed that although the formula isn't at all dry, that means it doesn't set like a true liquid lipstick would & therefore the wear times aren't fantastic - I need to reapply at least every couple of hours to keep the colour looking fresh & that's without eating, drinking etc.

Honestly, I just don't think these are worth the hype. I can understand why - when they first launched - people were impressed, but now there are so many affordable options for liquid lipsticks that I just don't think they compete. For reference, my favourite high street liquid lipsticks are Rimmel's Apolocalips Lip Lacquers which are only £5.99.

This next product was a total impulse purchase, but I have no regrets. The texture of NYX's Extra Creamy Round Lipsticks is super smooth, & Pandora is an incredible opalescent violet - it's a match made in heaven. It's not the sort of shade you'll wear everyday, & it doesn't have the longest wear time, but it is beautiful.


The final product is a must-have blush, & I'm so glad I picked it up. Mocha is described online as a matte mid-tone pink but I definitely think it has some peachy undertones - super natural but also pigmented enough that you can effortlessly build up colour, not bad for £6.

Overall, it was a bit of a hit & miss haul, but honestly when you're paying under £10 for each product, it's not a huge loss if some things don't work out. Plus, it's definitely not like any of these items are unusable - I've actually worn the Morocco lip cream a couple of times already - it's just that they can't compete with other products on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved