Thursday, 6 August 2015

5 Perfect Summer Nail Polish Shades from Topshop



My natural instinct with nail colours is to go dark - I love black, deep plums & navy blues - but come Summer darker shades can look a bit odd, so I decided to buy a few brighter shades which would work well if the sun ever decided to shine here in Edinburgh.

I've tried Topshop's nail polishes before & while the formula isn't always the best, at £5 for their basic formulas and with discounts aplenty on sites like FeelUnique.com, I'm not complaining. The packaging is also really cute & easy to use, even with freshly painted nails.


Causing a Stir is a bright coral/tangerine shade which looks great with a tan or darker skin tones. It may not be the most versatile shade but it's definitely a mood-booster on rainy days.


Birthday Suit is a pastel duck egg blue which is subtle enough to be fairly neutral, while still feeling light and summery.


Keep Me Sweet is another pastel shade, this time a green. This is a really fun shade & gets bonus points for reminding me of both pistachios & avocados, two of my favourite foods.


Aurelian is a metallic cool-toned gold. I feel like a lot of people discount metallic nail polishes for being too brash, but I think they look super chic & in a classic shade like gold, they're basically neutral. 


Port de Bras is a cool-toned pinky-lilac, perfect if you're looking for something that's just a little more bold than a nude but still want the colour to be subtle


In terms of formula, as I mentioned above, they're a little hit or miss. I found a couple of the shades to be quite streaky, which meant applying a few layers & then inevitably smudging them (see above).


In contrast, Aurelian applies beautifully, although as with almost all metallic shades it does emphasise the nail's natural texture, so a base coat is a good idea.

On the bright side, I've found all five shades to be long-wearing, with minimal chipping even after a week's wear, which is pretty good going for me. Basically, you get what you pay for & if like me, you just want a few bright shades to use for a couple of months in the Summer, these are great options.

What are your top Spring/Summer nail shades? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved